It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:15 pm

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 3 Next
 Post subject: Call to Arms.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

Since apparently some people can't read. I'm going to restate what I said 6 months ago.

If you want to fix obsidian, PM ME.
IF you have already, do it again if you're still interested and you never heard back from me. I replied to all I got, but let's face it, these forums are crap, they were a rush upgrade to fix a security risk and are full of holes themselves. So not all pm's get to me. So if you didn't get a reply, resend.

But the few I did get are not enough to run the server.
Right now we're lacking the manpower to do anything useful.

I know i'm near useless, I barely have time to keep things running, not near enough to do the server upkeep and upgrades the web services need, nor diving into the more complex systems to finish fixing or the upgrades that were coming. Since apoc has been so graciously to keep you all updated on my life, he might want to bother mentioning I'm still in temporary housing, the house destroyed last year is STILL not done being rebuilt, and the faire is yet another job I work to pull in funds to try to support family. But yeah, that doesn't make as good a narrative as "bob's doing jack all". I wake, I work, I sleep. Pretty much without fail. My free times are measured in hours, not weekends.

So yeah.
If you want to actually work instead of bitch, throw me a pm. If enough of you actually want to get things in gear, we can work something out. But the bitching in forums without anyone actually putting action behind it is getting old.
I'm willing to sacrifice a some of my sleep time to train up some new people, if people want to step up. But so far the response there has been appreciated to those few who have voiced their small abilities to help, but not near enough.

Post subject: Re: Call to Arms.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:19 pm 

Well im just going to speak my mind. So yes most can read. And its a good bet to say most have some kinda issue in rl w/e it may be. And speaking as a husband and father of 4 and going threw a life changing wreck and other health issues. I feel your pain. But now days seams everyone is going threw some kinda crap. Im sorry for all that. But I might be wrong. But I have never seen you post anything in the last 6 months about pming you for jack. I cant say I know everything about the game far from it. But I would help in anyway I can. What it comes down to in my books is this. Bob your one hell of a guy you have done great things for obsidian. And yes if not for you the shard would have died long ago. But for the last 3-4 years you have let it go to shit for w/e reason. You cant tell me you cant spare 5 min to post something. No we as loyal players who have tons of hours raped up in this shard. We have lost shit we have listened to what you bob have told us you would do. Where is the results? None now talk of just doing away with it. If you feel as you do or just don't have the time. Give it to someone that has the time and the want to do something with it. Ok I get not everyone is up for the job. But id rather see it go to someone rather than just rot. Everything you have done as a gm and player just as the rest of us will go to shit. I think that's shit. If you really care or ever have cared for this place SHIT OR GET OF THE POT. Take what time you have and do something. Or give us player an idea of what we need to do. Sorry if all this sounds rude or if you think im an ass. But damn we have waited to long and seen nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:52 pm 

Bot Check: GAMER
I just want to play again w fixes and enjoy things the way they were.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:47 pm 

pmed you! again, I guess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:24 pm 

Quote:
Since apparently some people can't read. I'm going to restate what I said 6 months ago.

If you want to fix obsidian, PM ME.
IF you have already, do it again if you're still interested and you never heard back from me. I replied to all I got, but let's face it, these forums are crap, they were a rush upgrade to fix a security risk and are full of holes themselves. So not all pm's get to me. So if you didn't get a reply, resend.

But the few I did get are not enough to run the server.
Right now we're lacking the manpower to do anything useful.

I know i'm near useless, I barely have time to keep things running, not near enough to do the server upkeep and upgrades the web services need, nor diving into the more complex systems to finish fixing or the upgrades that were coming. Since apoc has been so graciously to keep you all updated on my life, he might want to bother mentioning I'm still in temporary housing, the house destroyed last year is STILL not done being rebuilt, and the faire is yet another job I work to pull in funds to try to support family. But yeah, that doesn't make as good a narrative as "bob's doing jack all". I wake, I work, I sleep. Pretty much without fail. My free times are measured in hours, not weekends.

So yeah.
If you want to actually work instead of bitch, throw me a pm. If enough of you actually want to get things in gear, we can work something out. But the bitching in forums without anyone actually putting action behind it is getting old.
I'm willing to sacrifice a some of my sleep time to train up some new people, if people want to step up. But so far the response there has been appreciated to those few who have voiced their small abilities to help, but not near enough.
You never told us to PM you.

Funny how you say you did, but when we go back to the original thread you created on this topic you deleted your post. Face it, you haven't done anything since you first created that thread 6 months ago and now you're blaming us, the members, for your inability to keep a promise. We get that you're busy, but that doesn't excuse the fact that you've been making these promises to us and haven't kept them. If anything, you should be blaming yourself, not us for not supposedly having to PM you about wanting a change.

Another thing, why do we need to PM you? Why not just use the thread you created 6 months ago? I don't understand why a PM is so important that the only way you'll even consider doing work is if enough of us PM you, which I think is bullshit. You're pretty much telling us WE have to put in the work for you to even consider doing YOUR job as owner of OBS.

Also, I love the fact that my posts keep getting edited with "I am a moron" when I state my opinion. With a community that is barely surviving you'd think you'd want people to voice their opinions instead of removing and editing posts. Shows no maturity on your end.

Thanks again, Bob :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

Actually I didn't delete that post, I have a pretty strict no deletions policy myself. I prefer to make people look foolish in retort than change their words. :) I'll see if i can track it down in the abysmal admin panel this forum has. You think with how little time I have, I'm going to spend it moderating the forums? I'd rather spend it training new staff.

That being said, the reason I specify PM is because, quite frankly, I don't want to have to put up with the hurt feelings when someone offers in public and I have to point out they've been banned multiple times for rulebreaking and attempted exploits. Which i've had to do and then that same person just comes onto forums bitching how he offers help and no one will take it.

I will ~NOT~ give out player emails, password hashes, and IPs to someone who isn't trustworthy. Which, if we are signing on new coders, I have to be able to trust them with it, even if I keep the server locked down here. I've debate giving out the scripts themselves, or what parts I have direct ownership and control over(i.e.what I wrote), but honestly I'd have to coordinate with broadband, cv, and possibly jorus since they all gave the code on just for obsidian, not to be shared out. And maybe you all don't give a damn about giving out others code without their permissions, but I actually do. And who knows, they may all go for it.

My job as shard admin is to keep it running, vet staff, and work on it when time is permitting. Time has not been permitting, so the best i can do is vet new staff and help them get up to speed, which takes substantially less time than some of the upgrades that are needed to get things back to tip top shape.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:11 pm 

I will be admin Bob.

And my last topic was deleted.. Who is doing this'?

Eshmaki

http://www.youtube.com/user/IloveJesusY ... ature=mhum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:54 am 
Staff

Quote:
Also, I love the fact that my posts keep getting edited with "I am a moron" when I state my opinion.
That was me. I believe you've shown to all of us that you don't have anything constructive to add. I'll agree with Bob at this point and just let your words speak for themselves, as worthless as they may be.
Quote:
Actually I didn't delete that post
I didn't either. I would like to know what happened there.
Quote:
And my last topic was deleted.. Who is doing this'?
I don't know. I did not delete your topic, Alexace.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:10 am 

So if we speak our mind or call staff on thing that we were told to us we get called names now we cant find out who deleted posts sure is sad to let obsidian go out like this but its up to the powers that be from this point we as players have tried

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:22 am 

What a shocker, my post was deleted :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:54 am 

It's cool.. I wouldn't figure it was you.. My topic wasnt even bashing anything but was just about me finally giving up. Of course then admin has to go getting on the board again.. Pfft!!!

Oh and just btw I didn't mean to write admin in my last reply, I meant staff when/if they are needed..

Eshmaki

http://www.youtube.com/user/IloveJesusY ... ature=mhum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:44 pm 

Best thing to do is to give out the scripts, contact all your little buddies and ask them if the ol' mighty scripts can be released, aint such a big deal.

I want to run the server, im capable of running it, im capable of scripting. But I know i have a snowballs chance in hell of doing that.

Anyways, finding the right person to run it, trusting them, teaching them everything is going to take a while, so i vote for releasing the script..like my opinion matters ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

I've contact those who volunteered, to try to get a better meeting time. It will be an open meeting, those who want to can show up, i'll announce here when we have a time set.

If you still want to, you can still pm me.

The other good news(kinda) is I was forced to cancel my extra july-october contract this year, for the first time in four years. So I now have 3 months worth of weekends that I have to sort out among various priorities in life, but some of it i should be able to throw this way to help assist training the new staff. Rather than just occasional weeknights between work and sleep.

No immediate promises. As i said i'm still dealign with a house reconstruction that's taken over a year.

Fun fact: I found the deletes in the admin archives. They were obviously accidental as an admin was pruning the thread from various spam posts (mostly bots) and apparently forgot to uncheck the top post (which is autoselected in the prune/seperate menu, which is the fastest way to delete lots of posts in a thread, prune them into a diff thread then delete that).

Apoc, you have a chance like everyone else. There's a reason no one stays permabanned around here, it's because everyone grows in life and priorities/their motivations can change, myself included, so no one is ever entirely written off on what they did in the past. If you really want to, pm me and try to get in on the meeting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

Of those who expressed interest, only two replied back with good times for meeting.
So we'll not be doing it this weekend.
If I get responses this week we may do one next weekend, else it will have to be in three weekends, since that 2nd week is going to be a hellish launch week and probably require overtime all weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:20 pm 

Cm on guys :\

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 3 Next