It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:04 pm

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: No Way!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:43 am 
Site Admin

Bot Check: GAMER
Two updates back to back?!?

Yes I guess I'm tend to be crazy like that, but please don't tell my mother.

There have been considerable network upgrades over the past two days. First off, Obsidian has doubled it's internet pipe. We are now sitting on a fat tube of 30/5. Additionally we have upgraded our Cisco router with quality QOS and Obsidian has taken the lead as far as important services. Hopefully in the next few days you'll find that Obs is lagless and even lag free! Let us know how it's treating ya before we do our best to recruit the rest of the world to our awesome yet insane shard.

Post subject: Re: No Way!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:17 am 

Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
... awesomely corny post!@@!!!

ill get chemikill to test with me later :)
but i think lag is due to a more serious problem, like (was brought up to me) a memory leek or something
but ill test when i get back from DMV (who knows when) ill surely test it

ty BB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:33 am 

I'm not seeing any lag. PROPS.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah i saw the posts about a memory leak, and you're not the only one who had that thought, however i didn't think to reply since it obviously wasn't, i forgot that i'm the exception in knowing how things work.

That was inconsiderate of me.

First off, it will never lag because of a script for an extended period of time (more than one patch/resync cycle), because in the rare case something actually gets through, it is usually because of a typo on my part such as not having a () closed off right and is noticed immediately.

I pride myself on writing efficient scripts, mostly just because inefficient programming bugs the living bejeebus out of me. :)

The second reason is that a memory leak does just what it sounds like, it leaks memory. All this means is that it will use up more and more memory as time goes on. This will NOT affect performance until the entire memory of the system is filled up. The reason is that memory, unlike computer hard drives, operates the same "empty" as "full", and that all data in the memory takes the same time to read no matter where it is. Keeping "Track" of more memory takes 0 time since it's done within the memory itself. Now once the memory fills up, the computer will start saving "memory" to the disk drive, which is much slower, and will impact performance.

On the worst day, obsidian only used up 1.2 gigs out of a 4 gig (i believe) server. Might be more now that we've upgraded. And that 1.2 gigs is 200%+ what we normally use, and was done on purpose for stresstesting with a simulated client load of 370 users.

So yeah. While memory leaks can happen, but probably never will, they should never cause the shard to slow down, especially not with how it was happening.

Another easy way to tell:

If the world around you is moving, but you're not, it's probably a connection issue, either you or the server.

If everything is moving equally slow, npcs and you, then it's the server having a hardware resource issue (processor/memory is 100% utilized).

Hope that helps people out. And awesome broadband. Hopefully when i get back after this weekend the other systems will work and i can put in these patches.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:29 am 

Bob your way to smart....lol i read about half of ur post and gave up trying to comprehend.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:21 pm 

actually i understood that more than my teachers at school lmao,,, good explanations!!,, not that explaining better than my teachers says much,, but w,e!

OO and i have noticed b4 monsters tend to lag also, just a note, when i freeze for like 3 seconds and i dont get a new frame, the monsters are in the same spot when i stop lagging, so it seemed weird, i still have yet to log on with the laglessness tho, was over friends house for 18th birthday :) if chemi says its good, tho its prolly good lolz

ty bob for the explanation!
if u feel like babeling the workings of any computer or obsi or anything, i love reading ur explantions so babel to me :)
any way TY for the explanation :) peace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:16 pm 

Same here too, I have not got any lag while I've been on. I think maybe once I froze, but that was probably on my end.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:33 am 

The fact that an operating system writing data to disk is slower than using physical memory is not smart, it's simple computing :P

Physical memory has much higher bandwith (in laymans terms this is the amount of data that can travel per second) than a hard disk. It also has much lower latency which is the time it takes to access RAM when compared to a hard disk. It's also the reason why modern solid-state disks are starting to migrate towards using flash memory for improved performance.

You all know what 'virtual memory' is I presume?

It would take some considerably shoddy code for an application like Obsidian to 'leak' enough memory to saturate 4GB of ram on a modern server and force this situation.

It was quite apparent that the majority of issues were to do with the server connection, so I'm really glad that BB has identified and rectified this problem.

Big props to BB!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:24 am 

ya i knew what all those terms ment im not slow but i just didnt connect it with ,,, well connection probs lolz
I didn't know much about leakage so when the idea came to me from anther person, i was like,, um ya!!! obsi always had a nice connect why stop now that cant be an issue!. ya know>?
thanks for further clarification thass :) i didnt know latency was only with RAM, thats good to know :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:05 am 

ye rite! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:36 am 

lol i really did (to some extent) :/ but ok terek :/ u still suckz :P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:11 pm 

Welcome back terek :P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:52 pm 
Shard Supporter (Donated)
Shard Supporter (Donated)

wait, 4 gigs of ram, what os is obsidian running on again rofl .

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]