It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:13 pm

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

Alright, here's the rundown.
Recently there's been a lot of discussion amongst staff. And combined with the new server we got late last year, it's been tested and we can now say for sure that this is a viable option.

Starting next week, obsidian will be running T4A and T3A. Two seperate servers will be running, and players can pick which one they'd prefer to play on.
Development will be divided amongst the two shards in accordance to the ratios of people playing. The development time will be split 30% t3a and 70% t4a until such a time that both shards are considered functional. At which point we will divide it by population.

Characters will NOT be transferred from t4a back to t3a. This means that if you choose to play T3A you will end up exactly where you started when it went down. You also will be age 20. This is one of the showstopping bugs that originally caused us to upgrade to T4A.

Late in the year, we will make a mechanism that you can migrate your character across the two shards at will, so you can play some days on t3a, and other days on t4a. However this is a huge undertaking so don't expect it anytime soon.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:42 pm 

I fail to see how this is going to help anything? We have no player base at all so now we will divide it? And also with staff being busy 75% of the time and you guys can't seem to keep up with 1 shard what makes you think you can keep up with 2? Where did this idea even come from all of a sudden? I think this is a bad idea but you guys will do whatever you want anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:58 pm 
Shard Supporter (Donated)

this is an April fools day joke, right?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:27 pm 

Quote:
this is an April fools day joke, right?

Lol ever thought about that but maybe, it is pretty much the only way it would make sense.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:35 pm 
We have no opinon over it, no point bitching about it, they do what they want hurting the shard or not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:00 pm 

Bot Check: GAMER
Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
lmao i do think tis a april fools day joke,

if it aint, nows a good time to lie and say it is :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:20 pm 

lol funny april fools joke.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

Yes it's an april fools day joke, but more importantly i chose this specific one to illustrate a point.

The point is that people will bitch even when given exactly what they want. :) Half of it is because they don't realize what they really want, but the other half is because people sometimes get stuck in a "mindset" where they are inclined to bitch and point out the bad in things. This happens quite often after a bunch of time without broadband in the past, he normally endured a few months of straight bitching just from people so used to everything being horrid.

Despite all the bitching and moaning that t3a was fine and better and will always be better than anything t4a could accomplish, when given the chance to return to t3a people still complained, rather than going "hey lets all goto t3a and then they'll realize they should abandon t4a". It wasn't just you belgarion, i got quite a few nasty PMs and IMs about it. I'm not saying don't ever be negative, just remember not to get so used to being negative that it's all you ever say or notice about things. :)

So all in all yeah, just a friendly reminder to everyone.
Yes it kinda sucks right now. Yeah i'm doing what i can. But remember to keep a positive outlook, because it IS really easy to just be negative all the time, and it is harder to see the good with the bad. :) And remember to laugh at least once today. Because laughter is good for the mind.

This is my favorite holiday of the year, despite the fact that i rarely prank people. Laughter is a good thing, and most people are too serious to let themselves relax to laugh.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:57 pm 

this would be a cool idea tho lol specialy when chars would be combined from server to server.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:12 pm 

Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
ya i think u shoulda doen it :idea: :arrow:

:|

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:29 pm 

i love obs anyway you put it up so doesnt matter to me ill play whatever way it is cuzzz after all it is FREE lol tyvm for all the hard work admin...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:30 pm 
No one asked for two servers, I don't know of anyone who really wanted to update to "T4A" I didn't. I guess you guys thought that the only way to get away from whatever the problem was back when the shard kicked butt, was to do all this silly stuff, which might I add is taking over a year.

I may be wrong, or I may be right and you'll just tell me I'm wrong to feel better about yourself, but I really don't care for your opinon.

You'll probably say "So you would have rather of played with 9 people online max then the wonderful t4a?"

Yeh, the only reason it was like that was because there were 0 staff on, no events, no conquests, nothing, you just left us there to slowly get bored of logging on and bank sitting, which lead to us quitting.

If this new super duper wonderful shard of ours is ever going to get back to the way it was, it will not get there without active staff. Which means demoting all the non-active staff and recruiting new ones, that are on atleast 3 times a week. Maybe you should try to hire some teens instead of grown adults that do not have time to even look at there computer (broadband, but has time to play xbox of course).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:37 pm 

People usually complain because they care, but are unwilling or unable to effect change through any other means.

I've done my share of complaining, and as I've gotten older I found that it's easier and more effective to promote change with a calm demeanor and sound alternatives then rants and raves....of course, just because I know that does not mean that I don't go off on rants and regress when it comes to things I care about. Sometimes emotions just win out over common scents....bob, you have to realize that the dedicated players have an emotional tie to Obsidian, especially the ones who bitch about things the loudest. The folks who don't care do not even bother posting. When you single out the complainers, rip holes in their complaints (and yes, i know there are a LOT of holes), and break their concerns down line by line they start to care a little less about the shard. When we loose the people who care the most, what do we have left??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:59 pm 

i was like well ima play whichever one i get to keep all my shit on and wait till they let us go back and forth rofl. good one bob u owned these noobs i knew tho cuz i looked at the date and stuff lmao noobs. :oops:

and u guyz who keers what happens to the client we still got same admin staff and players the shard is what we make it its still obsi to me even with all the changes over 5 yrs now it always feels like obsi when i log in and i played a lot of shards none r close to ours for sure peace.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:43 pm 

LOL the longer I read this the more totally confused I was... good one.

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 18 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 Next