It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:54 am

Forum locked Post a reply Page 9 of 12   [ 167 posts ]
Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 12 Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:55 pm 

Bot Check: GAMER
Wtf how do you guys know all this secret information about staff? Confess who's the mole spilling all the beans! Is it raptor? Err I mean sparger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:17 am 

Quote:
Wtf how do you guys know all this secret information about staff? Confess who's the mole spilling all the beans! Is it raptor? Err I mean sparger

It all makes since now..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:37 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Damn that was a lot to read. I guess that's what I get for being away so long. lol Of course I did skip past the i'm the best at pvp, no I am bullshit that has nothing whatsoever to do with what we are talking about here. I have to say tho and I haven't played for sometime but I would have to go with option 3 as well. Yes we will be starting over with nothing and having to learn new systems etc... But the alternative is what? Have millions in gold and fully stacked chars on a shard with no players? One that is unstable and laggy and could crap out on us at any time. And I think instead of saying why take opinions from people who don't even play anymore maybe someone should be asking why all these players don't anymore. Option 3 is time consuming tho so if CV is going to get involved as well I say go for it. Bob cannot do it alone, even if he could it would take forever because he has a job, hobbies, friends, dog cat goldfish w/e.
What are you talking about? You posted on your moderator account just a couple days ago.

Tsk tsk Belg.

I think you are confused bud.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:32 pm 
Staff

Just talked to GMbob on the phone. More to come..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, sorry about that guys(Bet you're sick of hearing that, i'm sick of saying it). kraken literally got me as I was heading to bed.

TL/DR: Bob pulled a bob (again)

Got lost in real life(did I mention i'm still not in my home because the contractors are being slow asshats rebuilding it) due to it being the beginning of the year and starting a new job at the same time, so basically my schedule has been work for the past few months jobhunting or job A, then job a and job b, or on the rare free day pre-planned events every day for the past few months solid, and going to sleep at 6 pm to wakeup at 2 am and do it all again. It's not about to clear up.

However, I do maintain my earlier statement, and my desire to pass the torch, as it were. I haven't read through all the discussion, just this last page, so I will clarify a bit now, then more when I post this weekend.

The "unstable bullshit" I am referencing is specifically obsidian's modifications and the specific client/resources versions we chose to use/build a long time ago, and then slowly add to while trying to preserve everything. NOT the server itself(which has been surprisingly stable since ~3 patch rounds ago when we fixed most the last big bit of obsidian fuckedness, I still have one left i wanna re-do that i have to manually maintain every few weeks). I am not above rebuilding the whole damn set if we have to, to get it working on everything. Or a new patcher if needed.

But yeah, back to bed for me, anyone who wants to log opinions or hope to chip in their efforts, or just have a fun hang out, try to pop in at some point during saturday US time. Unless something drastic happens I'm blocking out time then to get some solid work and chat done then.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:29 am 

Well I actually logged in a couple of times this year.

Nobody else on but me :cry:

I was always happy to run PvP events for players, but never made it past Counsy, so couldn't generate prizes for the masses (which made it a rather pointless exercise).

If we have a functional method of recruiting new people, then I would certainly be happy to help out by running twice weekly player PvP events. Probably wouldn't play much as a player, but be happy to help in that way.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:12 am 

Thanks bob. see yah in a year

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:16 am 

Got all excited you made a post.

If youre so busy then i suggest taking a few hours to train some staff that can work on the server while youre dealing with whatever it is. Get some staff with scripting experience so they can work on scripts or make suggestions while you are away. Get new staff on the game that want the game to move forward, who have the time to do it. If this happens, and events are being held, stuff is being built, scripts are being made/fixed while you are away, then I gurantee you people will play, i would. Not only that, you would come back to players online who have suggestions, and the staff you recruited will have suggestions and would be hosting events.

I believe this is all it takes to get this server back on its feet, sounds pretty simple to me, if you grab the right people for the position.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:20 am 

Quote:
LOLOLOLOL HAHAHAHAHA Oh man..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:22 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
LOLOLOLOL HAHAHAHAHA Oh man..
LOL i had same reaction.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:10 am 
Site Admin

Eh, it's true.
Life's too hectic, and has been for too long. I flat out don't have the time to give the time that the game deserves.

It's why I posted this thread to begin with, and was my plan with the whole re-orginization concept.
That's why I wanted a survey of who was around and interested still.

Like I said, I put aside a good chunk of today, so lets fire up everything and see what we got.

Now, why I can't simply just hand the server in entirety over to a new guy:

#1. The server is an insecure mess, and was never designed to be handed off like that. I fixed some of that when I Got it from broadband, but frankly, it's still a mess. The staff we had at the time who needed access were trusted through proving themselves multiple times over the years, so it was left as it was. So first we need to do work cleaning up that and other staff access and giving it some semblance of legitimate controls and balances in power (everyone can remember when a certain rogue counsi and seer ran off and did a ton of damage due to these lack of controls).

#2. There's a lot of quirky undocumented shit that I'd like to go back 5-10 years and slap myself for ever programming because I didn't know any better at the time. Part of it is due to limited technology at the time, part of it is due to having to get around broadband's setups, and part of it was just flat out I was a worse coder back then. So I need to clean it up or document it for the next guy.

While I can't fix all of #1 today, which would require moving the server to a new box, for example, I can fix a good chunk of #1 and #2 and take survey of who actually wants to help and get started on cleaning things up.

Quote:
Got all excited you made a post.

If youre so busy then i suggest taking a few hours to train some staff that can work on the server while youre dealing with whatever it is. Get some staff with scripting experience so they can work on scripts or make suggestions while you are away. Get new staff on the game that want the game to move forward, who have the time to do it. If this happens, and events are being held, stuff is being built, scripts are being made/fixed while you are away, then I gurantee you people will play, i would. Not only that, you would come back to players online who have suggestions, and the staff you recruited will have suggestions and would be hosting events.

I believe this is all it takes to get this server back on its feet, sounds pretty simple to me, if you grab the right people for the position.
Pretty much the plan at this point.
That and I'll also be doing an audit of what actually was finished, what was in development and never got done, and what got done but needs to be undone.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:48 am 
Staff

Looks like new player registration and server status are fixed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:04 pm 

And a new in-game Seer. Kraken was promoted.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:41 pm 
Staff

Yes. A great honor. PVP events going on right now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:44 pm 

YEAH! We actually played the game today you guys.

Fury kicked me ass >;(-< but it was fun.

Thanks Kraken.

And there was some sht with chickens.. don't ask.. i was pretty high at the time i'm not sure what i saw...

Lysol-former
Maximus-former
Dracula-former
Kuka
Bl8dinc4K3

Forum locked Post a reply Page 9 of 12   [ 167 posts ]
Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 12 Next