It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:10 am

Forum locked Post a reply Page 2 of 12   [ 167 posts ]
Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 512 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:44 pm 

Bot Check: GAMER

Last edited by Hemlock on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:32 pm 
Staff

Yahoo Messenger: v_laurence
Ahhhh well... I was asked to chime in on this discussion.

First of all note that much of my commentary is colored by 17 years of MMOs, being one of the two original creators of Obsidian, writer of a lot of the original player guides, writer of the patcher, the Obsidian stats system, spawn and dungeon designer, and well overall lover of giving back to a gaming community. And yes, I had my long hiatuses and haven't been active, but I have always stepped up to support when I was absolutely needed. So given the call to respond, here's my 2 copper pieces.

I'll get it out of the way and state that "converting" communities never works. When I say "converting" I mean, turning it into something else like a guild in another game or a "gaming community". Been there, tried that. Never works. So regardless of what you do, don't kid yourselves, you won't be able to convert the community into another community into SOMEONE ELSE'S game, more details on what I mean by that later.

Now, what Bob suggests in #3, I would suggest you keep your minds open to the idea. Now I wouldn't be the first one to suggest going completely all hog and move to a more modern engine with 3d environments (such as BB suggested) mostly due to the fact that people like the old engine, but don't think that a fresh re-creation of the world (and yes players) might be a completely bad idea. Keep in mind I'm talking slightly out of ignorance because I don't know the current state of the server, client, etc. But let's say there's a newer server emulation software with newer client with the same levels of power and control, sure it might be a lot of work but might be worth a restart on that new engine. Anyhow, it might be worth it. This thing I suggest in line with #3 is not unheard of. It's been designated in the past through ages of Obsidian when we did MAJOR overhauls. Note that for this to occur you need massive staff support and things will suck for the player base for a while, so the gain has to be worth it.

All that said, maybe #2 is a more viable option, but depending on what needs to happen like BoB said #3 might be JUST as much work. I know that I personally would be happy to contribute time if needed with my specific expertise. Hell, I'd be happy with helping a new age. I don't lead a guild anymore so at most it gets in the way of my painting time. Point is folks, business as usual sounds like not a good idea. Limping along option #1 is as good as death. #2 might work but you might be at tech limitations. Some palatable approach for #3 might be the wisest decision.

Ok so, thinking more about BB's suggestion. At first too, to be honest, I was put off by the idea. But get past the initial emotional response and think for a moment what you ACTUALLY love most about Obs. Yes it's people, it's community, but I would be being in touch with the dev team and events and how we runs things is more important than the client or the exact game. So while you might initially be turned off by BB's idea because yes you could be playing WoW or whatever, remember your ties to being part of what Obs is. Remember you helped test the new dungeon design, you had input. A new game server, client, engine will still need YOUR input. You can help shape how the dev team molds the world (assuming its an open engine like Sphere or whatever we use today). Please just keep that in mind. Oh and I can say a restart like BB proposes would be more fun for staff because newer funner tools for making newer fun environments and world of new possibilities.

Yours forever, GM CyberVic, the humble tamer

Group skype call to discuss?

http://www.victorlaurence.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:13 am 

From one humble tamer to another - it is nice to see you CV :)

It is also nice to hear the offer of assistance from yourself and others.

Myself, I'm not the most technical of persons so work on that side of things from me would be limited but I could at least help with testing and what not.

But still - willing to help where I can :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:34 am 

Quote:
Ok so, thinking more about BB's suggestion. At first too, to be honest, I was put off by the idea. But get past the initial emotional response and think for a moment what you ACTUALLY love most about Obs. Yes it's people, it's community, but I would be being in touch with the dev team and events and how we runs things is more important than the client or the exact game. So while you might initially be turned off by BB's idea because yes you could be playing WoW or whatever, remember your ties to being part of what Obs is. Remember you helped test the new dungeon design, you had input. A new game server, client, engine will still need YOUR input. You can help shape how the dev team molds the world (assuming its an open engine like Sphere or whatever we use today). Please just keep that in mind. Oh and I can say a restart like BB proposes would be more fun for staff because newer funner tools for making newer fun environments and world of new possibilities.
Lol i f****** hate this community, full of wanks and this shard used to be full of our input now its just what ever sounds good to the developers doesn't even feel like obsidian anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:34 am 

Quote:
Lol i f****** hate this community

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:17 am 

Love you too Albert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:22 pm 
Staff

Yahoo Messenger: v_laurence
BTW I'd like to revise something I said which might seem a bit confusing in my post. To be honest I was dealing with some computer craziness the other day. I didn't realize Shroud of the Avatar was another bullshit game by Garriot. f*** that guy after Tabula Rasa IMO.

So to be clear, I'm not advocating turning obs into a guild in someone else's game. For some weird reason I thought Shroud of the Avatar was an emerging UO 3d server engine / client. Sorry for the confusion that might have cast (don't hate me Blackthorne).

To be again completely clear and those I've spoken with via skype and in game know, I'm more in favor of a #3 approach, rebuild an ops-like new world. Yes ya'll will lose "Stuff" but you'll help build a new world with a new engine that will merely be a new age. I'd also suggest the staff do whatever would be reasonable to help veterans move over to the new system including vet rewards and some kind of compensation / way to get them going. Obviously the staff isn't going to sit there and do an inventory of your stuff and hand over a million things to you, something though within reason to start the new age maybe with some unique items or something.

http://www.victorlaurence.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:57 pm 
Staff

Quote:
im not trying to be an ass or anything but we haven't been able to find staff for a long time now
I am still around. I'm only a counselor though so there is only so much I can do. Good to see some old staff around again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:19 pm 

I would like to change mine to number #3

Lets start over.

This game has gotten to the point where we just need to start again.

Right now just about everyone is maxed out. Full maxed out gear. No new players is going to want to start when everyone is running around in the best gear out there.

Sure there is going to be a lot of people with 7x gm on every char. But there not even playing now so why not?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:03 am 

#3 sounds good to me, idk if i posted before to lazy to look but thats my input.

I agree with hemlock, I know I wouldnt wanna play when everyone else is the best they can be.

and i fully disagree with broadband's post, made me like him a little less after that lmao

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:32 am 

I Feel like #3 is really the best option...hopefully we keep the name or some part of it and pay tribute to the history created by Obs in the form of statues etc something like that... This way its fresh and new, stable, easier for Bob to handle etc and keep the history. I would definitely support the new project. Also, what kept me playing Obs when I was new were the pvp and pvm events....the treasure hunts and all that good stuff...the community of course helped with that. We had a great community especially the staff .. Let's go back to that when this new project kicks off.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:54 am 

Quote:
(don't hate me Blackthorne).
haha i was just kidding community is ok (still full of wanks but thats the reason i play is to give them hard times.)

However the shard has been going a different direction it feels like and many obsticals keep popping up stopping us from progressing. I honestly think with some time put in from developers and the community we can get back on track without having to update the whole game engine. People love old school feel, we just dont like alot of things that have been changing and being kept secret from the players.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:14 pm 

Yahoo Messenger: N/A
Haaaaiiiiii

Ive just scanned the discussion and if obsidian is starting again, i will help in anyway i can :-) would be quite cool to start a new world :-) but as much as i want to help i cant really do much :-( admins and staff get cracking ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:10 pm 

Also, I do like BB's suggestion in getting this community into a new game even though it's still cool to have a old school UO server...for nostalgia ...Ultima Online is played out seriously...It's like Diablo 2 it's a classic that will be playable forever but the population will always be low because the only reason people would go back to these games are to relive old memories....

I don't see anything wrong with getting an Obsidian community in a few new games like Day Z for example... just to keep the experiences new in newer games pretty much.. I still support the idea of upgrading Obsidian in a UO server that is up to date filled with new features and new lands to explore ETC...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:00 pm 

Quote:
I would like to change mine to number #3

Lets start over.

This game has gotten to the point where we just need to start again.

Right now just about everyone is maxed out. Full maxed out gear. No new players is going to want to start when everyone is running around in the best gear out there.

Sure there is going to be a lot of people with 7x gm on every char. But there not even playing now so why not?
I think a complete restart, a blank slate - if you will - is going to be a bitter pill to swallow for quite a few. I think losing resources might be hard enough but I think people losing characters with gm'd skills they have dedicated time to is potentially going to be catastrophic. I'm guessing there are some old timers who have not ruled out returning and getting some time in when things picked up - will call time time on the Obsidian days.

There is going to be a few who have stuck around (in a fashion at least) who will walk away. That's not me saying I'm off if we start over - I'll still be here. I'm just worried that if that option goes a head, then there will be even less folk around. I think regular-ish activity (updates, events and whatnot) would lead to an increase in playerbase - both in our current format and something along the lines of #2 but I think that will be at the sacrifice of some loyalty if we do indeed agree on a restart.

This is also going to make playing now pointless - other than a bit of interaction with other players (given that any skill gains in crafting will subsequently be reset).

Some of you will say 'who cares' to all this - but I don't think you should shun our vets and 'old noobs' alike! Hopefully my comments are not going to contribute to anyone thinking...'well what's the point then', because I still think we have something unique here, something not found on other UO shards or other games for that matter.

Just a few additional copper pieces of my own :)

Just a quick question also - I'm not sure how much work would be involved but could some of the currently inaccessible areas be opened up for exploration?

All the best folks.

Forum locked Post a reply Page 2 of 12   [ 167 posts ]
Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 512 Next