It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 3:17 am

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 Next
 Post subject: Cross healing
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:44 pm 

Bot Check: GAMER
Thassius mentioned in a post a while ago something about cross healing so I started thinking about this...
I remember before it would be very helpful in pvm but it pretty much broke pvp because 2 dexxers can cross heal each other and never die due to the <2 second heal delay.

I think it would be helpful to add it back in, but in a way that helps pvm considering some warriors complain they cant really hunt, and poly mages think they need some help too. However, at the same time it has to be in a way that doesn't bother pvp too much

The way X-healing worked in the past before it was taken out was that you could heal your partner (as long as they were within 1 or 2 tiles) and you would have a shorter delay for your next heal
The way this works out helps give an incentive to hunting in a group (what staff wants us to do, and what a majority of players don't want to do)

Some balance ideas I was considering:
-The more consecutive times you cross heal, the more % of a chance you have to fail the following heal. (Something like...by the 3rd time you attempt to x-heal, you should have a very high % chance of failing)

-Keep the fail odds on healing the same as always, but if you fail on a x-heal, you have a longer delay for your next heal

-Just make x-healing have a higher fail rate

Anyone else think we should bring back cross-healing (or is it just me), or any ideas how to make it not mess pvp?

Post subject: Re: Cross healing
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:29 pm 

What is the difference between having a higher fail rate and a longer delay tho really? I'm not sure how x-healing even really works now but it seems to me like waiting yto get healed because you failed or waiting for the delay would be pretty much the same thing no?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:09 pm 

As of right now I'm 99% sure there's no benefit to cross healing.
As far as the negative whether it be a fail or delay, yeah they're similar, but the differences in my suggestions is pretty much that the first one keeps people from doing it over and over, and the second one keeps it up to chance (now that I think about it, it could be something like strategy vs. chance)
The third one I didn't give much thought to the consequences, but I guess it would leave x-healing to when you're in a tough situation and your partner really needs it. IDK I don't really like the last one too much lol

But if anyone has other ideas, it would help out!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:44 pm 

Is probably fine the way it is...you can heal someone...that is good I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:44 am 

the x healing benifit before was that you got a one second reduction when you healed your partner. that was taken away so you heal them just as fast as you heal yourself. if we went your way with it it would hurt team poly hunting becuase if you have warriors and polys the correct way to hunt i shave warroir with a polearm or any 2 tile wep and stand one tile behind poly so poly takes the brunt of it. your way would make that huge pain in the ass. the monster only attacks one at a time, the only change that would be good in my eyes would be to go back to reduction on x-healing delays, but i dont think that will happen becuase of pvp.

Hook(Daemons)-Mild mannered reporter/Tamer
Mr.Obvious-SUPER Crafter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:57 am 

yepp true that. nvm, scrap the idea lol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:31 am 

Perhaps it would be an interesting dynamic if we took one of the skills which has always been redundant on Obsidian (e.g. Enticement) and make it a Cross Healing skill... perhaps with a more appropriate name such as Healing Others.

That way, players would need to specifically train into it to become proficient at healing other players which would kinda give birth to a healing class within Obsidian enhancing the group dynamic we are trying to promote.

This would reduce the PvP balance issues to an extent, because it would mean that the most effective DPS builds would need to drop another GM skill in order to train it.

We could even make use of the Healing Others skill add an additional delay mechanic to spell casting or weapon swing delay to further reduce the PvP imbalance.

Further, we could tweak PvE balance so that if the player gets hit themselves it makes the cross heal less effective or have additional delay.

Would I like to make a build on Obsidian for PvP and PvE that wasn't as effective offensively but was good at healing my friends, allowing them to focus on tanking or DPS? Would people want a player with GM Healing Others skill to group with them? Hellz yeah...

Just an idea anyway...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:25 am 

I think it sounds like a good idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:17 pm 

I have nothing useful to say at this time

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:40 pm 

I like the idea but dont like a wep delay to be implemented with it or reductions in healing health points if hit unless training in this skill means increased armor defense as a trade off.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:05 am 

Quote:
I like the idea but dont like a wep delay to be implemented with it or reductions in healing health points if hit unless training in this skill means increased armor defense as a trade off.
This is part of balancing it in PvP... so that players can't attack at full strength and still cross-heal very well. There should really be some kind of benefit to standing and healing other players as opposed to doing it on the fly. An example of this would be the 'knockbacks' you get to healing in World of Warcraft and other MMO's. Similarly in most other games you can't keep attacking while you're healing others.

Plus, bear in mind this would be a penalty associated with healing others not for healing yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:37 am 

Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
but why put cross healing lower? -_- its already the same as regular healing lol it's been nurfed i dun think anther nurfing is needed...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:00 pm 

Quote:
but why put cross healing lower? -_- its already the same as regular healing lol it's been nurfed i dun think anther nurfing is needed...
You may not have read my previous post about it, but my suggestion was actually to make cross healing more powerful as a dedicated skill... but at the sacrifice of DPS.

That way people can choose to spec into cross-healing, and concentrate on healing others while grouping... without imbalancing PvP by allowing two people with the skill to heal each other while doing full damage.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:49 am 

Quote:
Quote:
You may not have read my previous post about it, but my suggestion was actually to make cross healing more powerful as a dedicated skill... but at the sacrifice of DPS.

That way people can choose to spec into cross-healing, and concentrate on healing others while grouping... without imbalancing PvP by allowing two people with the skill to heal each other while doing full damage.
This would be good but why be a cross healer if you dont get a bonus to defense you might be the target in pvp yourself doing less damage etc concentrating on healing more than anything has to have a trADE off

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:40 am 

Yahoo Messenger: chipsll
what i was thinking.. lol i didnt see the real +

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 Next