It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 8:46 am

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 3 Next
 Post subject: PVP Looting
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

Alright, little background on this.

Ever since we started discussion of the T4A upgrades, one of the big things broadband wanted to redo was obsidian's "free loot" policy. That is, no rules on looting corpses/kills. He thinks it's really harsh on newer players and is a little imbalanced in general.

While i agree it's a little harsh, i'm of the opinion that the risk that it adds is part of the game environment and people learn to play with it. Without it people are more apt to do careless things or get too complacent. Add to that the player society on the shard usually takes care of any extreme griefing going on, such as 100% craftkillers.

Anyway, that was brought up in the most recent discussion on what he wants done next, and after some back and forth here was what we managed to come up with.

Realistically, there are 3 different ways we thought up to deal with loot:
1. Bless deeds/Insurance, either permanent or limited number of uses before wearoff. These would be bought/crafted/dropped from montsters?

2. Limited corpse looting. Only certain items or a certain # of items can be looted from a given corpse.

3. Flag based. People can choose to be pvp/nonpvp, and only pvps can be looted.

The problems that we came up with each are:
1. Only the rich could afford to protect their good equipment, so the poor would be even more outmatched
2. Near no incentive for PVP, and people can't do full loot duels even if they want to.
3. 95% of the shard would probably sit npvp and it would kill the environment.

So, with those in mind, we came up with a hybrid system. This combines options 2 and 3 in a way we think might work.

You would have a flag, that you could change maybe once a week. This would designate you a PK or an NPK.

When a character kills another character, the person who lands the killing blow(or most damage, we'll see), gets to loot the following:

If both are nonpk, 1 item. (no containers)
IF one of the characters is pk, 2 items. (no containers)
If both are pk, the entire corpse is lootable.

This gives incentives for people to be pk, as they will be able to get more loot, and yet gives the npks some limited reprieve from total jackasses.

Keep in mind the numbers, such as the 1-2 items and week waiting time, aren't final, they were just good starting numbers for the idea.

So what are your thoughts?
Does this sound like a good system? If not, would it be good if we did some changes, and what changes would those be?

Or suggest your own system, and we'll see how everyone likes it.

Post subject: pvp
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:07 am 

I think the reason alot of ppl play here is becuase of the system that is place. But if your concerned with the new players. Leave it all alone, except noobs get a grace period of say 3 months? where they cannot be looted fully, BUT they should be partially lootable...like 5 items or so. Cuz if your going for ANY sort of realism, then everyone needs a good looting for incentive to go back to training so they can be on the other end next time!

Post subject: Re: pvp
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:10 am 
Game Admin

Bot Check: GAMER
Quote:
I think the reason alot of ppl play here is becuase of the system that is place. But if your concerned with the new players. Leave it all alone, except noobs get a grace period of say 3 months? where they cannot be looted fully, BUT they should be partially lootable...like 5 items or so. Cuz if your going for ANY sort of realism, then everyone needs a good looting for incentive to go back to training so they can be on the other end next time!
I like that idea quite a bit. Frankly I'd be happy, same as falin, with keeping the system the way it is. The partially looted aspect of a new player's life wouldn't be such a bad idea though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:11 am 

Please leave the system the way it is. If you change it, you'll kill everything that got me hooked to playing this shard the last few years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:20 am 
Shard Supporter (Donated)

Full loot...the higher the risks the higher the rewards.

Please leave it as it is....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:47 am 

I like the 3rd one.
But I think it should be that each char can pick crafter or fighter(pvm/pvp).
And it should be perm.(or only change by a GM for a price and limited to 1 change per char)
And say like if you pick Crafter you can't deal damage to players or npc's.
Or something like that. Or atleast not to NPC's so PVMer dont pick crafter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:58 am 

i mean cmon guys someone people hate hunting and they get there money from pking. And if u do this system all someone has to do is buy a lot of hay so when someone kills them all they see is hay,and when the pker moves the hay does it count as a item? Im just saying if u do this pvp will stop. And pvp is wat most people log on for. And all the pker has to do is hide at the body? And when they res and loot kill agin. and ect.

Dont change it ist perfect.

Decimation[Dark Honor]
Shadow[GWAR]
Hemlock[Outkastz]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:49 am 

id say leave it as it is, the more advanced the more problems to solve.. maybe you just could increase newbie poof time to 3 month as Falin said.

Alltho an option to keep some items would be good. Perhaps magical containers would be in place, extends game story some in a way aswell! You would only be allowed to carry around on 1 bag a character.. and the bag is newbified and there's very (point out very little) little room in it.. but still allows you to keep what you need the most. for example some bandies & a weapon or a shield?

oh and while in fights you'r unable to use the bag.. to prevent victims to put stuff in in panic. Also perhaps some kind of upkeep cost for the bag so it still will be a little challenge to hold on to one.. lets say you need to find/buy some kind of crystal now and then and charge the bag to be able to keep it or it would fade away..

oh here's me just drifting away.. an idea never the less!

I game on Ubuntu!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:01 am 

as it is please, i cant even believe it was suggested to change it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:04 am 

Just think of it this way. A warrior sitting at the bridge in vesper wereing full rose gm made and a lighting vanq longsword. U go up and wall him and after u fight him for a bit u only get to loot two of all those rare itmes?

Decimation[Dark Honor]
Shadow[GWAR]
Hemlock[Outkastz]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:17 am 

leave as is if anything enable looting in town.

seriously, this is obsidian.

the #1 reason anyone sticks with obsidian long term is to be able to stand up to the people who owned them and it will be absolutely 0 fun if you take that away and just hand noobs a free ticket.

the game is old, its not that fun to play by yourself, take away the competitiveness by removing the threat and rush of pk/pvp/full looting,
and you are taking away the only part that is fun.

holding myself back from going nuts on this topic bob, we dont want you to change it ok, why do you think we've been here for so long? we like the way it is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:30 am 

omfg the system is fine dont change it !! im not a PK and i dont like PK but i understand PK and the system its OK, u can get loot outside town but not inside town its fine.

i also agree with the 3 month poof for noObs.

the bag idea maybe sounds good but i think it should be alot of work and right now i feel that r other things that need to be fixed in first place.

this is what i say in the other post u r trying to fix something that is not broken......

in case u change the system, a way to bless crafters should be to have a # of crafter skills in 50% or so, like dunno have 5 skills in 50% u get blessed from get killing by a PK, that way u can prevent from ppl trying to get that bless since they r gonna waste 250 points of skills......... something like that

Iori Yagami - The Old Fisher Of Obsidian
Yashiro - From Old School
Saga - Golden Wizard
Orochi - The Vamp Stoned
The Sorrow - In The Darkness were he belong
[ Merovingian's Dynasty ]

Click here to feed me a Star Fruit!
Get your own at Flyffables!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:25 am 

3 months? it doesnt take that long to build a character up where he can kill people.

you will just have a lot of poofing annoying players who use it to their advantage.

remember three month old char doesnt mean its a 3 month old account.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:41 am 

Yahoo Messenger: dedommanger
when I am out of town I keep absolutely everything in a separate container in my bag on the off chance that i die. i can grab the bag quick and scram!

Speaking as a crafter I like the old system, it is what goaded me into staying with it. ashes killing me over and over sunk in after a time period and I learned to stay in the cove training grounds until my nubby ass could handle the outside world (better at least).

Crafters cought outside of town get whats coming to them we all know this! don't mess it up for some players just for the sake of newer players. we all have been there and most of us sympathize and have no issue replacing that precious set of iron for the new player who just got looted

Ankhesenamun
Dedo Serenity
Fisherwmn
Ruby Estella
Enchantress

Post subject: shard
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:27 am 

I say the same as everone else leave it be. :) But if you want to help the noobs put it in the tutorial that they could lose their thing so remember to vist it the bank offten or something like that.

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 3 Next