It is currently Mon May 27, 2024 8:59 am

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 Next
 Post subject: Murder Decays
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

Currently murder counts(kills) only decay while you are logged in and online.

I want to know what everyone's opinions are about letting them decay while they are offline as well. To balance that out, the time to decay each kill would go up, quite a bit.

My opinion is that online kills work better, because it prevents people from doing the "weekend pker" situation, where someone kills a ton right before vacation, then comes back and doesn't have any real consequences for their actions. This also makes it less likely that an active pker will be "blue", since they will have to actually play for a while and not kill anyone, i.e. not give into the temptation. To me it makes no sense when some of the most egregious pk's are blue 90% of the time.

Anyway, those are my thoughts and why i personally prefer the online decay system we currently use. What does everyone else feel like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:59 pm 

Well even with the current system, I cant even PvP and stay blue, kill decays take way too long. Im 100% for offline decaying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:18 pm 
Shard Supporter (Donated)

I don't PK, but I'm red.
I don't remember how I got red...I think I had a rough weekend a year ago...anyway...I should be online for my kills to decay, unless I have 100 kills or something that would REQUIRE macroing to remove.

I'd like to see a system in place that would allow kills to be removed while off line, but only to a certain point..like 15 or 20.....to get it lower then that people should have to put in the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Well even with the current system, I cant even PvP and stay blue, kill decays take way too long. Im 100% for offline decaying.
That's kind of the point. Pkers who go out pvping aren't blue...

That being siad, yes guild wars and the arena(non kills) aren't in yet, it's on the to-do list.

And azimuth, the new kill system makes it harder to keep high levels of kills. The more kills you have, the faster they decay.

As i said, the whole goal with the system, whether we do offline or online pking, is that if you want 0 kills, or 50+ kills, you have to work on it. You can't just kill off a random person every week and expect everyone to think you're a darling angel, it just doesn't make sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:54 pm 

So basically only crafters will be blue...?
Ah well in the land of Obsidian if you only kill 1 person a week you pretty much are an angel :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:54 pm 
Game Admin

Bot Check: GAMER
I think the main problem with kills decaying while the player is online is that people will inevitably go afk to decay the kills.

What about this:
Kills decay offline
The decreased timer system is kept but the timers increased
Only one kill is decayed per period of being offline

So for example if it currently takes 12 hours to go from 4 kills to 3 kills, then with this proposed idea it would instead take around say 96 hours, would decay offline and the kills would only go from 4 to 3 while offline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:26 am 
Site Admin

I'm still a little wary, becuase then you have people with red characters who only log them on to kill or while they're blue, and logon once every day for like 2 minutes so the kills decay.

If the main worry against online only kills is macroing, that's easily solved. :)

Also, depending on how things go once everything is in place and we have more people, i may lower/raise the times for kills to decay. For now it seems to work decently and it's too early to tell what adjustments.

Again, guild war kills will not add kills, neither will arena, once those two functions are working.
Chaos vs. order i'm not entirely sure whether will add kills or not. We shall see, especially with the ideas that have been proposed about incorporating chaos v order into a more global situation and into the general event/plotlines.

Anyway, i'd like to hear a lot more voices chime in on this before I do any real thinking on it and bring it up to discussion w/ broadband, so lets keep this thread going for awhile

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:37 pm 
Game Admin

Quote:
I'm still a little wary, becuase then you have people with red characters who only log them on to kill or while they're blue, and logon once every day for like 2 minutes so the kills decay.
What if instead of having to just log in for the decay count to start we divide the time to decay a kill into 2 parts; online and offline. So if it's a 98 hour stint total to lose the kill we make say 3 hours you have to be online and 95 hours offline? That way people will have to spend some measure of time online with the kill but won't have to stay logged in to decay the kill?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:13 pm 

i think that the offline way there is gonna be alot of abuse, now , in the online way still u need to spend alot of time.

offline way could work but u need to see all the ways i dont like the idea but im on a PK so barely go red, but i undestand that some ppl like it alot and dont spend too much time online.

what about if u r red and u WANT to drop ur kill count , click some stone or something with the option of decay kill counter offline or not.

and the online way i have no idea of how much time u need to drop 1 kill but for what i hear u need ALOT of time hehehe

Iori Yagami - The Old Fisher Of Obsidian
Yashiro - From Old School
Saga - Golden Wizard
Orochi - The Vamp Stoned
The Sorrow - In The Darkness were he belong
[ Merovingian's Dynasty ]

Click here to feed me a Star Fruit!
Get your own at Flyffables!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:29 am 

Do it like OSI

Kills only decay online, if you cant handle the consequences of attacking a blue player and going red after 5 innocent kills dont do it?

Obviously you will have sorted it by then that chaos vs order kills arent counted as a kill count (and never were), but it stops chancers killing crafters over and over again without being punished (unless they are guilded)

I mean everyones acting like its a bad thing having to be online to decay kills, and that macroing will occur, thats up to the staff to stop.

Its not like you are introducing skill loss (which is fantastic IMO) for the red player who gets killed :D

Also i think it should be the more kills you have the longer it takes to go blue, you wanna be a pker? do it properly, you get the benifits from looting players and in turn your privilidges for town, except Wind of course

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:15 am 

Totaly agree with Barney.
p.s. Barney for presidents!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:21 pm 

gotta agree with barn on this one.

i would have np dealing with being red if/when i choose to murder and loot innocents. ive been red a few times and cant see what the big deal was if i wanted to go in town just stop killing people for a while. no one would welcome killers in their town anyways.

at the same time i dont feel sorry for pple who get pked it is part of the game but definitely dont see why it should be easy for known murderers to function in peaceful areas without reasonably doing their time.

i think the main thing that created a problem was order/chaos not working correctly.

maybe keep it hard for reds to decay kills but first fix order/chaos then wipe everyones kills to a clean slate and from there pkers are on their own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:54 pm 

I was just thinking...and this might be kinda dumb, so bear with me..but.....

I was thinking about what happens to a murder in most countries.....they usually go to jail when they're caught...so why not jail as an option in obsidian? Let me explain....

Lets say a red player is sent to jail for whatever reason....their busted. Now that the law has caught this guy he could be given an option...do the normal time for whatever crime he was sent there for, or stay there for a calculated time (biased on his kills) and pay the price for being red. If he decides to stay in jail, his kills could decay off line at a slow rate, and he would have to stay there until he is blue again. A red player is usually someones main character...and it sucks to not be able to play a main character...but it would the players choice, and he would have paid his debt to Obsidian.

This could be taken a step further and something like an amnesty stone could be placed that allows for slightly accelerated kill count decay for turning themselves in.

Of course if they decided not to go to jail, their kill count would decay only when they are online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:08 pm 

Quote:
i think the main thing that created a problem was order/chaos not working correctly

yeah chaos vs order neva work properly, and i agree with barney. online is the way to go.

Iori Yagami - The Old Fisher Of Obsidian
Yashiro - From Old School
Saga - Golden Wizard
Orochi - The Vamp Stoned
The Sorrow - In The Darkness were he belong
[ Merovingian's Dynasty ]

Click here to feed me a Star Fruit!
Get your own at Flyffables!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:35 am 

to start....barney wins. :)

but i also kinda like Azimuth's idea although i think it has a few rough edges that'd need working out - something like it having certain limitations i.e. going from like 10-15 kills down to like 5...basically accelerated decays behind bars til you down to 5 or something.

...meh like i said, rough edges :P

Post a new topic Post a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page 1 2 Next