It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:23 pm

Forum locked Post a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 72 posts ]
Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:42 am 
Staff

Bot Check: GAMER
I believe Cirius has heard enough to change his perspective a little on how things are here at Obsidian. Let's get back on topic please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:44 am 
Shard Supporter (Donated)

Quote:
Whats with u cirus is nothing like losing a car irl its losing a stang on a game if your gonna take it that bad dont buy a f****** stang... Every one loses stangs etc in the game maybe there pissed off for the first 20 mins but after that they dont go rageing making posts about it Lol
Anyone remember when Jimmy quit because Mack killed his stang and he had to be talked back into playing....

On Topic now....when I was training taming almost 3 years ago CV told me himself that the best way was to herd animals into the static houses around the world and tame that way, so I wouldn't have to follow them around. He just warned me to never go AFK - or he would put my skill back to 50.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:51 pm 

I am still waiting for an answer from CV because i PMed him about this. This is a tactic for training taming that has been around since b4 i started playing, and now you guys want to make it illegal cuz some ppl afk it? Why not make it illegal to smelt ores 1 by 1? Or to make daggers and resmelt them. You can AFK that too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:04 pm 

This has been around since long before you started playing:
Quote:
23. Players may not harbor or confine any NPC in their housing or with other objects.
This is black and white, as written by Broadband. There are no grey areas here.

In terms of taming, 'Confining an NPC' includes any static, player-placed, or GM-placed construction, building, item(s), or enclosed area that prevents free roaming of the animal(s) at hand.

Whether the animal spawns there, is gated there, or is led there by a player is completely and utterly irrelevant. There are hundreds of animals to tame out in the open.

It is not open for discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:04 pm 

Quote:
Anyone remember when Jimmy quit because Mack killed his stang and he had to be talked back into playing....
Or when RmX quit and deleted his chars cause he got PKed, then lucked out, got his chars back, only to quit again when he got PKed? LAL

On topic - I've been countlessly seen by staff members over the past 3 years using static housing for rides, animals, etc. There was no issue with this aslong as they were TAMED and RENAMED so they could tell it was cleared from the spawn and no longer an "NPC" but rather - a pet.

Last edited by Emo on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:25 pm 
Staff

Yahoo Messenger: v_laurence
Quote:
And what about horses and stangs that you own. That counts as an animal right. I mean staff constantly says nowadays that you can have all the animals you want in your house as long as its been tamed already, or even if its not still tamed as long as its renamed. This is wrong then eh..? wierd how the rules change everytime we get new staff. [not really, they just dont even read/know the rules themselves...]
As per that rule I'm the one who wrote it and I'm the person who's always been in charge of spawns both world spawning and dungeons so it's my rule and have serious reasons and ramifications other than just for pvp/stealing horses reasons which is how this who discussion started.

To futher clarify

If it is an animal that you personally own and it's in your house, fenced area, etc that's fine. A perfect example of this is sheep. Especially for sheep tamers will tame the sheep and stable them and sometimes they might go wild. I know when I was a player there for a while I had like 20 sheep stabled in my little house in the northern territory. Likewise you could have a mount in your home and not play for a week and during that time it went wild. These are acceptible things.

What isn't allowed it taking an untamed animal or someone else's animal either through herding or through attacking and luring to trap any animals, monsters, npcs, whatever in your home or private property.

http://www.victorlaurence.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:46 pm 

Quote:
To futher clarify

If it is an animal that you personally own and it's in your house, fenced area, etc that's fine.
So for instance, say we tamed 10 grizzly bears, dropped them in a static house for fellow tamers to "train" on .. there's no issue with that right? Since they are pets, and have been removed from the spawns?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:26 pm 
Staff

First of all a "static" house is public property. There should be no concievable way to "trap" animals in this public property. Anyone could walk in and kill those animals, or open the door and simply let them roam free.

Second off I certainly hope you aren't using some kind of exploit to tame relatively dangerous animals to tame "safely" using some kind of wall, pathing, or line of site exploit which is a completely different issue entirely than what's being discussed here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:41 pm 

lolz, you're not catching what I'm asking, but you did semi answer it in your first paragraph.

There was an issue around people "locking" tamed grizzlies (merely closing the doors to houses, which anyone can open) in static housing around the world, so they didn't have to *wander* around after the animals whilest they are macroing Taming.

Now as far as I can remember, this is perfectly legal, but we are asking you to clear the issue up.

P.S - I'm quite aware that abusing LoS by using static housing to tame red animals is illegal, but completely not what I was asking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:33 am 

Quote:
First of all a "static" house is public property. There should be no concievable way to "trap" animals in this public property. Anyone could walk in and kill those animals, or open the door and simply let them roam free.
I think that's your answer right there. Basically what he is saying is putting them in static areas is not locking them because the door doesn't lock. If i interpret what he said correctly it's that this rule does not apply here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:47 am 

CV the issue that we are having here is that people are finding 'out of the way' static buildings in which to train taming... this makes it alot easier to AFK than out in the wild.

Given the size of the game world in relation to the amount of active players on at any one time, the chances of being disturbed in a remote location (as per your suggestion) are slim to none.

Thus, the end result is no different to putting them into a locked building of your own.

It was actually GM Bob that first thought this shouldn't be allowed, and personally I agreed with him because of the above.

What do you think? Perhaps we should just come down extra hard on those who are caught AFK in this situation? I think we were just ruling on 'no taming in buildings' (static or private) because it deters people from exploiting this to train taming in private (especially AFK) without the animal moving away.

Naturally once the animal has been tamed (as per the sheep you mentioned) then the above does not apply. We have been recommending that players rename rides once tamed in order to make this apparent. We have also taken no action with regards to sheep for the same reasons you stated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:06 pm 

I honestly see no issue to those who want to risk taming inside a static house, you are open to be pked by anyone... it's not like you are just "safe" behind a "locked door" it's a public building, and animals even tend to spawn INSIDE these static buildings, for instance, near cove.

I would like to hear a ruling from CV though, not other GM's. Once an NPC is tamed and re-named, it becomes a pet, correct? So is there an issue to taking these "pets" putting them in a building, and taming on them (NOT AFK).. I remember CV you once told me you done this as a player and it made a tamers life WAY easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:51 pm 
Staff

I'm always hard on AFK macroers. The issues sounds like an AFK macro issues not putting untamed or tamed animals in a static public building. There is nothing wrong or illegal about that. AFK MAcroing or LoS exploiting is another story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:52 pm 

Quote:
I'm always hard on AFK macroers. The issues sounds like an AFK macro issues not putting untamed or tamed animals in a static public building . There is nothing wrong or illegal about that. AFK MAcroing or LoS exploiting is another story.
Thank you very much for clearing that up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:10 pm 

:D Does this mean I get my skill points back in taming?

Forum locked Post a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 72 posts ]
Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next